Sierra Wireless launches mangOH Red open source platform for industrial IoT devices
Canadian communications equipment firm Sierra Wireless, together with ARM, Bosch Sensortec, MediaTek, Orange, Qualcomm Technologies and Talon Communications, have announced mass-market availability of the mangOH Red open source hardware platform.
Targeted at the industrial IoT and maker communities, the mangOH Red is smaller than a credit card and includes all of the building blocks needed to prototype and test ideas in days instead of months with minimal investment. mangOH Red designs can then be modified and repurposed for mass production using its industrial grade components and applications developed in the Legato open source Linux platform.
The mangOH open source hardware program was founded in 2015 with an aim to make it easier for developers to prototype with any wired, wireless, or sensor technology based on their unique IoT use case. The product is ready to use from selected distributors, with complete source design available under a Common Creative License.
“With mangOH, I have the whole world in the palm of my hands,” said Mahapatra Niladridas of Mahindra Electric. “It provides perfect open source, industrial grade hardware with a highly scalable embedded platform. Sierra Wireless mangOH and Legato open source tools make taking smart sensors to advanced IoT implementation very simple, secure and cost-effective. We can’t contemplate our new telematics device without this.”
The platform includes a variety of features:
- A snap-up socket up to add any CF3-compatible modules, including wireless modules (2G to 4G & LTE-M/NB-IoT) to achieve up to 10 years of battery life
- Built-in Wi-Fi b/g/n and Bluetooth 4.2 BLE with an ARM Cortex-M4 core to provide real-time access to I/O
- Built-in Bosch Sensortec accelerometer, gyroscope, temperature and pressure sensors, as well as light sensors and a 26-pin Raspberry Pi compatible connector
- An IoT Expansion Card slot to plug in any technology based on the IoT Connector open standard
- Sierra Wireless Smart SIM with up to 100 MB free data, depending on region, and can also be used with any commercially available SIM
- Easy connection to the AirVantage IoT Platform to create, deploy and manage solutions in the cloud, and can also connect to other cloud platforms
Picture credit: Sierra Wireless